Re: [Openvpn-users] Multiple Clients behind a broadband router

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Multiple Clients behind a broadband router
  • From: Doug Lytle <support@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:38:51 -0400

Trevor,

You'll need to be using SSL/TLS in mode server to make this work.

If you are already, you'll want to generate a certificate for each connecting client.

Doug

Trevor Lauder wrote:

Hello,

I've run into a problem with having multiple Windows OpenVPN Beta11
clients behind a broadband router (have tried SMC, DLINK) connecting to a
Linux OpenVPN beta11 server.  The connections are using UDP on port 4000
and what happens is one workstation can connect to the VPN, however when
another workstation behind the same firewall connects it ends up booting
the first workstation off.  The only way around it that I've found is
having each workstation connect to a different port, so workstation #1
would use UDP 4001, Workstation #2 would use UDP 4002, etc.  That seems to
work but it's a real pain for maintenance, etc.  Does anyone know if this
is a NAT problem on some of the basic broadband routers?  Is there a
certain brand / model that seems to work with multiple OpenVPN clients
behind it all using a single UDP port?  Any feedback would be appreciated..

Cheers,