RE: [Openvpn-users] Silent installation

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Silent installation
  • From: "Eric Tanner" <etanner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:00:27 -0500

Title: Silent installation

>How can I have silent installation of openvpn client without user noticing it?

I agree, silent installs are nice when dealing with computer inept users. Rebuilding the install package is a good start.  this is pretty easy to do.. in the nsis script add SetSilent silent to the beginning of Function .onInit, then go though and set defaults for any dialogs that the user will see.  Off the top of my head, I can't remember what openvpn dialogs there are.  also you can change the TAP driver .inf file as Mathias Sundman wrote.  Finally  rebuild the install package,  this will create a silent install exe.  The user will still see the unsigned driver warning. (although there are some not very nice ways to get around those)

>I mean a user clicks on a hyperlink, some applet runs and openvpn client is installed on  the  system without user noticing it.

This gets a bit tricky.. the only way I can think of is within a signed cab.  The cab will have an .inf file were you can specify the location of the install package (in same cab is best) and instruction to launch it form the cab.  Depending on you users IE settings, there may be a popup to "accept" the cab.

hope this helps.

Eric Tanner