[Openvpn-users] Re: Linux-XP Incomplete Connection.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Linux-XP Incomplete Connection.
  • From: Chris Mills <millsspam@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 00:43:44 +0000 (UTC)

Well all, thanks for all your input and help, so far. For an update, I resolved
the incomplete connection problem and am onto other issues (working on getting
to my subnets now, not just the local machines). Hopefully, no more posts from
here on.

The solution:

OPERATOR ERROR!!!! :)

Maybe I can blame MS a little. The tunnel connection has two places to disable
the Microsoft firewall on XP. I only disabled it in one place.

Here's the skinny:

1) On the network connection's properties dialog, there is an advanced tab.
This tab has a checkbox "Internet Connection Firewall." I ensured this was
unchecked.

2) However, on the general tab, right under my nose (looked at it many times
but missed it) is "This item uses the following items:" lister. This has an
item "Net Firewall Service." This needed to be unchecked. It was checked.
Big suprise to many of you out there, huh? :)

Of course, to be fair to myself, I did do a substantial search of the XP
doc (that behomoth beast of a help system) and never came up with this item--
only the former.

By the way, I am doing non-bridged using TAP now. I may try bridged later,
when I get the current configuration working completely.

Again, thanks.

Onto the routing-to-subnets problem! Reenergized for the task. Almost there.