[Openvpn-users] Re: Linux-XP Incomplete Connection.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Linux-XP Incomplete Connection.
  • From: Chris Mills <millsspam@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:58:18 +0000 (UTC)

> so far i haven't seen UDP work on my XP SP1.
> it also seems TAP is a safer choice when windows is involved,
> please give those a shot.
> i spent ages wondering what i was doing wrong until i switched to
> tap over tcp, especially because all documented configurations
> Just Work[tm] on linux-linux

By the way, Tony, when you say TAP, I assume you mean a bridging configuration.
The reason I bring this up explicitly is because there is some conflicting
documentation. According to the man pages, TAP is used for bridging. Yet
in the Windows Openvpn doc, the example for tunneling shows dev tap in the
config file, and the ifconfig command is in the form

ifconfig ip mask

not

ifconfig ip ip

According to the man pages the former is for bridging (TAP) and the
latter for tunneling. In fact, the Windows doc example doesn't show
an example using dev tun. But when I tried to tunnel under windows with
dev tap, things got weirder (don't remember the details). I will try
this path again.