[Openvpn-users] Re:

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re:
  • From: Chris Mills <millsspam@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:31:39 +0000 (UTC)

> The fact that you can ping Linux from XP but not the other way around
> seems to suggest a firewall issue.
>
> The TAP-Win32 adapter on XP sees the ping coming from Linux as "incoming"
> data on a network interface.  By contrast, the pings that originate on XP
> would be going "out" the TAP-Win32 adapter.  The behavior you are seeing
> is consistent with a firewall which only allows incoming packets which are
> associated with a locally originated connection.
>
> I'm referring to the internal windows firewall which can be selectively
> enabled or disabled for a given adapter.
>
> If this isn't the problem, you could take your debugging a step further
> and install the debug version of the TAP-Win32 driver to further trace the
> packet path:

Thanks, James. I certainly thought of this. I do have ZA on my machine, but
tested this with it shut off. On or off behaviour is the same, and nothing
shows up in ZA logs with it on. The XP firewall is not turned on for
the adapter, I checked. But I agree, it sure looks like it could be a
dropped packet. Unless XP is doing dropping the packet anyway. This
would not be the first time that I have seen XP do things opposite of
what was configured. Any guesses what XP might be doing?