Re: [Openvpn-users] Linux-XP Incomplete Connection.

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Linux-XP Incomplete Connection.
  • From: Tony den Haan <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:35:24 +0200

On Friday 01 October 2004 09:34, Chris Mills wrote:

> Problem:
>
> My Linux-XP point-to-point tunnel connection is not completely connected. I
> can ping the Linux tunnel adapter ip address from XP but I can't ping the
> XP tunnel adapter ip from Linux.
>
> Software and Versions:
>
> - Devil-Linux Distribution (Firewall, iptables based running off CDROM,
> floppy) - Openvpn 1.5 running on Devil-Linux (impractical to change this to
> 2.0) - WinXP/Pro (SP1) (laptop)
1.5 is of course quite ancient, you could at least try a recent linux and see
if that works, just to narrow down.

> 2) UDP packets are sent between the machines. I can see them using verb 5,
>    and the sniffing tools. They are transmitted in lock step with the ICMP
>    packets.

so far i haven't seen UDP work on my XP SP1.
it also seems TAP is a safer choice when windows is involved,
please give those a shot.
i spent ages wondering what i was doing wrong until i switched to
tap over tcp, especially because all documented configurations
Just Work[tm] on linux-linux

good luck,

tony

btw: if you think this hurts, just wonder if you can configure any firewall
you encounter to pass all the stuff ipsec/l2tp requires :)