[Openvpn-users] tuning for best performance.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] tuning for best performance.
  • From: franki <franki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:36:12 +0800

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get the best performace between a tun vpn between to ADSL connections, both ADSL connections are PPPOE, which normally means setting the MTU to around 1492, I was wondering what things I should look into with regards as to getting the maximium thoughput from the VPN. The actual VPN is stable and running great and I've been very impressed, but I'd like to get it better if I can.

The server is a Mandrake 9.2 linux based custom install and the client is an XP pro laptop, both ends are behind Netgear Prosafe routers, the server has port forwarding of the relevant ports.

Any tips or suggestions for improving performace over PPPOE would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, its been years since I did any significanct DOS coding.. is there a way on win2000/XP to fork a process into the background? I'd like to put two batch files on the desktop, one to initiate the VPN, set the route, and delete the normal locally mapped drives (the ones people use when they are on the local network at work) and then create the VPN mapped network drives.

The other bat file I'd like to kill the VPN, and re-establish the normal local mapped drives ready for when they return to work.

My attempts to do this have resulted in openVPN not returning the prompt and therefore not running anything else in the bat file until after the vpn is ended. The last time I did any Dos work was with 6.2 or win95, which is probably why I don't know how to get it to fork a process or return the prompt.

I'm used to shell scripting on linux/unix where a simple & at the end sends the process to the background and returns the prompt, but I have no idea if MS improved CMD in 2000/XP/2003 to provide similiar functionality.

Has anyone done anything similiar to what I'm trying to setup?

--
rgds

Franki