[Openvpn-users] Some VNC speed test I ran

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Some VNC speed test I ran
  • From: Anthony Ewell <aewell@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:43:56 -0700

Hi All,

    I ran some quick and dirty speed test on
RealVNC and TightVNC over a dial up tunnel
that I thought I'd share.

    First off, TightVNC and RealVNC are based
on the same code.  TightVNC compresses, when
RealVNC does not.  TightVNC Server will accept
RealVNC Client, but not support compression.

   Since OpenVPN also compresses, I was concerned
that a double compression would slow things down.
So I picked out a program on the server side
and timed how long the screen took to pop up
on the client side.  I had both VNC's with
video color on low and wallpaper off.  Here
are the result of my crude test.

TightVNC Server, TightVNC Client: 34 seconds TightVNC Server, RealVNC Client: 14 seconds RealVNC Server, RealVNC Client: 9 seconds

--Tony