Re: [Openvpn-users] client behind a NAT

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] client behind a NAT
  • From: Jon Bendtsen <jon.bendtsen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:17:51 +0200

Den 10. sep 2004, kl. 11:51, skrev Piotr Zachwieja:

After I had started my work in August I was told to create an VPN to connect
two networks in different locations. I have choosen OpenVPN and set it up.
Everything works fine. There is one linux server (as OpenVPN server) with a
public IP in location A. When I connect to this server form the outside (via
modem) connection is established. However there is no opportunity to set up
another server in location B, because the department there doesn't have a
public IP. Computers there are behind a NAT. I don't know if it is a routing
or openvpn configuration problem and I haven't found anything on the openvpn
website. I will be very grateful for any help.

The situation looks like this:

Client <------> |GATEWAY (with public IP) | <---------- INTERNET ------------> | VPN serwer | <-----------> LAN

yeah, that is possible.
What you do is make a router/firewall/gateway on location B connect with
OpenVPN to the openvpn server at location A. Then you just modify the routing
table to route packets for the LAN at location B through this VPN tunnel.

JonB