Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN GUI - Ask for http-proxy feature

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN GUI - Ask for http-proxy feature
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:21:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Ewan Bhamrah Harley wrote:

The username can be stored in the registry, and the password too, with a
standrd "Save password" tickbox and a disclamer that the password will be
stored in clear-text.

Personally I'd feel that the password should not be stored. If it is, then you might as well not worry about deleting the authfile either.

I gave this some more thought... If we're not going to store the password, it would feel a bit awkward having to open the proxy settings dialog every time before connecting, just to set the username/password.

Maybe the proxy dialog should just have a checkbox like "Authentication Required", which will cause the GUI to prompt for proxy username and password upon connecting.

If no authfile is supplied to OpenVPN, does openvpn detect that a username and password is required and prompt for that from the console while connecting?

It would be great if that is the case, then we could prompt for proxy username and password only if it's needed. I'm not familiar with proxies so I don't know if it's possible, but I would suppose so.

Then the authfile will exist as long as any connection is running. If a second connection is started, it will reuse the authfile from the first connection as it will most likely use the same proxy, so there is no need to query the user for the credentials again.

When the last connection is closed, the authfile is removed.

Does that sound like the right way to go?