[Openvpn-users] Windows "loosing" DNS information

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Windows "loosing" DNS information
  • From: Jon Bendtsen <jon.bendtsen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:16:16 +0200

Hi list, i have a problem that i find really really weird.

The problem is that my users complain that the internal DNS does not work when they are
connected through OpenVPN, even though all indications says that it should work.

So far i have seen the problem on windows machines, all of them XP, and it's been going on
for some time, so it isnt SP2 related. Some of my users are hit every time the connect, others
just occasionaly.

Running a ipconfig /all reveals all the needed information. The DNS servers, the domain name,
and everything needed is set up correctly. But it doesnt work. DNS translation to ip addresses
does not work. They can ping the ip addresses just fine, but not with DNS, then it says
"no such host".

If i tell my users to run a ipconfig /renew (or is it ipconfig /renew /all) then the DNS
suddently starts working again. But naturally i would avoid having my users running this
command, since it confuses and annoys them.

i run openvpn 2.0 beta7 at the server, and i have tried both beta4 and beta10 on windows, and
it appears to happen to both versions.

i push the needed information to the client, and as ipconfig /all reveals, it does get this information.
It gets all of it.

Here is what i push
push "route a.b.c.d 255.255.255.255"

push "ip-win32 dynamic"
#push "tap-sleep 4" <---------- i tried with and without this one, problem still prevails.
push "dhcp-option DNS pri.ma.ry.dns"
push "dhcp-option DNS se.con.da.ry.dns"
push "dhcp-option WINS pri.ma.ry.wins"
push "dhcp-option WINS se.con.da.ry.wins"
push "dhcp-option NTP ntp.ser.ver"
push "dhcp-option NBT 2"
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN in.ter.nal.do.main.name"
# Set NetBIOS over TCP/IP Node type. 2 = p-node (point-to-point name queries to a WINS server

push "route 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 default"

the client's config file contains server address, the certificates and a pull.