[Openvpn-users] Working FreeBSD/XP bridge configs? (+ a "Doc rant" comment)

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Working FreeBSD/XP bridge configs? (+ a "Doc rant" comment)
  • From: "J. Perkins" <jsperkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 02:06:46 -0700 (PDT)

Raise your hand if you're using Ethernet bridging on FreeBSD!

I'm trying to get "road warrior" configuration going using XP as client
over an Ethernet bridge to FreeBSD (5.2.1-RELEASE). I'm using OpenVPN
2.0beta10 compiled from source.

I've done a kernel load of if_tap and bridging. I used systcl for the
net.link.ether.bridge.enable and ...config settings.

But I'm a little hazy as to what my bridge is actually called (all the
Linux stuff refers to 'br0'), and also as to if 'ifconfig' is
appropriate, given that I have a DHCP server on the remote side. I've
read the docs several times, and I'm just really feeling dejected
because I can't get beyond "test_routes: 0/0 succeeded" no matter what
I try.

Anybody who has working Ethernet bridging scripts/config files, I would
greatly, greatly appreciate if you could share them with me. I'm not
using ipfw or other firewall on the box, and if I have to accept that
all traffic goes through the remote system and uses that gateway, so be
it. At this point, I'm up for anything.

In related news, I read the "rant" by James regarding a sort of "Web
wizard" that would take someone's setup and suggest config files, and I
think it a *fantastic* idea.