[Openvpn-users] Almost but not quite. Cannot see self in Network Neighborhood

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Almost but not quite. Cannot see self in Network Neighborhood
  • From: "Michael Kelly" <mkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:41:49 -0600

Hi all,

Almost there but not quite. I am setting up a Win2000 box to connect to
a Linux gateway running openVPN 1.6. At the current time the connection
is working between the two, I can mount shared drives directly off of
the samba server, I can see the rest of the internal office LAN in
network neighbourhood, and I can ping any machines on the internal
office LAN by their netBIOS name. However, I cannot seem to get the
remote Win2000 client to register itself with the WINS server running on
the same samba server I am connecting to map drives.

I have the WINS server address set in the TCP/IP option for my remote
LAN connection, and in the options passed to the openVPN service running
on the same machine. I can ping the WINS sever from the Win2000 client.

Here are the config files:

Office (Running on RH9.0 Linux firewall-gateway)
dev tun
port 5002
ifconfig 10.3.0.1 10.3.0.2
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1400
up ./office-mdk.up
secret mdk.key
comp-lzo
ping 10
verb 4
mute 10

Win2000 client
remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
dev tun
port 5002
ifconfig 10.3.0.2 10.3.0.1
dhcp-option WINS 192.168.0.197
#dhcp-option NBT 2
route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.3.0.1
tun-mtu 1256
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1400
secret mdk.key
ping 10
comp-lzo
verb 4
mute 10

I have read through tons of e-mails from this list and tried many fixes
to solve this. From what I have read having a shared workgroup between
the office and remote locations is very possible by the use of a WINS
server.

I hope someone can shed some light on this one last issue I am having
Thanks
Michael Kelly