[Openvpn-users] v1.6.0 compile oddness on a redhat 9 box.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] v1.6.0 compile oddness on a redhat 9 box.
  • From: "Khan St. Preest" <ksp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:43:37 -0500 (CDT)

I've compiled and installed openvpn on numerous systems ranging from
Redhat 6.1 to SuSE 9.1. All of them have compiled, installed, and worked
flawlessly.

I've got this one Redhat 9 box, however, that won't complete the
./configure process, insisting that my ssl headers aren't available. The
last few lines of the configure output look like this.

[snip]
configure: checking for OpenSSL SSL Library and Header files...
checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
configure: error: OpenSSL SSL headers not found.
[/snip]

However, I DO have the openssl-devel libraries installed.
"rpm -qa|grep openssl" yields this output.

openssl-0.9.7a-20.2
openssl-devel-0.9.7a-20.2

Next, I look in openvpn's config.log for more details and see the
following entry that looks like it could be the problem to my
non-programmer eye.

/usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory

I check and I do also have that file installed but it's in
/usr/kerberos/include/krb5.h. I don't see a seperate configuration option
to tell openvpn where kerberos files are. I copied krb5.h to the openssl
folder where I presume ./configure is trying to find it but still no dice.

Before I get too much further into this can someone tell me if there's
just something odd about compiling openvpn 1.6.0 on Redhat 9 or if they've
seen this already and know what I should do?

Thank you.