Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn workroup problem (part 2)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn workroup problem (part 2)
  • From: "Michael Kelly" <mkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:38:33 -0600

Thank you for the response.

>>> Jon Bendtsen <jon.bendtsen@xxxxxxxxxx> 19/07/2004 11:04:42 am >>>
Den 19. jul 2004, kl. 19:03, skrev Michael Kelly:

> Hello all,
>
> After the weekend, and returning to the "office" side of the
> connection, this is what I have found.
>
> The clients on the remote side of the vpn are registering themselves
> with the WINS server, name and ip, and show in the wins.dat file,
but
> only the clients from the "office" side are showing up in the
> browse.dat
> file. I do not know why this is occurring, or if this is just the
> nature
> of a routed openvpn connection.

I guess that is because broadcasts are not routed over the tunnel
You do use tun, right ?

Yes I do use tun and I am aware of the fact that broadcasts are not
made over the tunnel, but I am still not sure why the browse list would
show up on remote WinXP clients, and not remote win2000 clients

> Also, I still have the issue where clients in the remote office that
> are running Windows XP can see the individual computers on the
"office"
> side, the computers available in the browse.dat file, but no
computers
> on the remote side, not even themselves. Computers on the remote
side
> running Windows 2000 can only see computers within the remote office

> and
> none from the "office" side of the connection.
>
> I can get all computers on the remote side to access the Samba file
> server.
>
> On Windows 2000 clients I have to either type the IP address of the
> Samba server into the "Map Network Drive" along with the folder
share
> name, or add an entry to the hosts file on that machine.

Did you tell the samba server to announce itself as browse master to
the
remote network ?

I have/had  given the internal IP address of the Samba/WINS server to
all clients, both remote and here in my office. I do not know id this is
causing Samba to announce itself as the master browser to the remote
network. I have also performed a registry edit on all client systems to
ensure they do not become the master browser. If I am not already
announce the Samba server as the master browser to the remote network,
how would I achieve this.

> On Windows XP machines I was able to map the Samba server drives
> directly because all computers from the "office" side were showing up

> in
> Network Neighbourhood.
>
> Again, all clients had been set to point to the Samba server as the
> WINS server and had been restarted to ensure registration

Do they log on to the domain ?

There is no domain in my setup, only a common workgroup.

> At this point I have had to stop all remote clients from registering
> themselves with the WINS server as I could not leave all Windows XP
> clients in the remote office unable to see anything within that
office.

> I am very interested in finding out if this is just the way it is,
or
> if I have made an error in my configuration files. I had hoped that
> would end up with essentially on big workgroup where all computers
at
> either end would be available through Network Neighbourhood.

I dont think it is a openvpn problem.

JonB

I do not necessarily think this is an openvpn problem either, but
possibly some other setup issue. I was hoping that some else had come
across this situation and had resolved it. From everything I have to
this point so far about the VPN solution I am working towards, having a
common workgroup where all system on both ends of the openvpn connection
could see each other was not out of the realm of possibility. I hope I
can get there.

Thank you again for your response JonB and I hope that you can provide
some further insight.
Michael Kelly