[Openvpn-users] openvpn workroup problem (part 2)

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] openvpn workroup problem (part 2)
  • From: "Michael Kelly" <mkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:03:57 -0600

Hello all,

After the weekend, and returning to the "office" side of the
connection, this is what I have found.

The clients on the remote side of the vpn are registering themselves
with the WINS server, name and ip, and show in the wins.dat file, but
only the clients from the "office" side are showing up in the browse.dat
file. I do not know why this is occurring, or if this is just the nature
of a routed openvpn connection.

Also, I still have the issue where clients in the remote office that
are running Windows XP can see the individual computers on the "office"
side, the computers available in the browse.dat file, but no computers
on the remote side, not even themselves. Computers on the remote side
running Windows 2000 can only see computers within the remote office and
none from the "office" side of the connection.

I can get all computers on the remote side to access the Samba file
server.

On Windows 2000 clients I have to either type the IP address of the
Samba server into the "Map Network Drive" along with the folder share
name, or add an entry to the hosts file on that machine.

On Windows XP machines I was able to map the Samba server drives
directly because all computers from the "office" side were showing up in
Network Neighbourhood.

Again, all clients had been set to point to the Samba server as the
WINS server and had been restarted to ensure registration

At this point I have had to stop all remote clients from registering
themselves with the WINS server as I could not leave all Windows XP
clients in the remote office unable to see anything within that office.

I am very interested in finding out if this is just the way it is, or
if I have made an error in my configuration files. I had hoped that I
would end up with essentially on big workgroup where all computers at
either end would be available through Network Neighbourhood.

If needed I can post my openvpn configuration files and a network
diagram

Thank you for any input
Michael Kelly