Re: [Openvpn-users] Get cert from a smartcard (was: Release: OpenVPN GUI for Windows v1.0-beta1)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Get cert from a smartcard (was: Release: OpenVPN GUI for Windows v1.0-beta1)
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:09:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Torge Szczepanek wrote:

1. Allow the user to enter the private key passphrase in a dialog and pass
it on to openvpn. (Will this require patching OpenSSL?)

Also interesting would be a interface to a smartcard reader, where the X.509 certs are stored. Has anyone already thinked about this?

I think that would be great too. However, I've never worked with such a device...

How do they work? Is there a standard API to access them, or does every manufacurer have their own API?

Can you simply read the cert/key out of the smartcard or is there some "challange-respone" function involved?

I do think this type of support should be in the core of openvpn, not in the gui though.

-- _____________________________________________________________ Mathias Sundman (^) ASCII Ribbon Campaign NILINGS AB X NO HTML/RTF in e-mail Tel: +46-(0)8-666 32 28 / \ NO Word docs in e-mail