Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: TUN Mac OSX success stories

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: TUN Mac OSX success stories
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:10:04 -0000

It would be nice if someone would come forward to maintain OpenVPN + tun on
Mac OSX.  It's been a while since the driver was written and I seem to be
hearing more problem reports lately about it.

The driver was originally written/ported by Christoph Pfisterer, but
unfortunately it appears that he can no longer maintain it.  His web site says:

"Important: I am no longer able to work on the tunnel driver. I'm still
looking for a new maintainer. If you send me e-mail with questions about the
tunnel driver, don't expect an answer. Sorry." (
http://chrisp.de/en/projects/tunnel.html )

Unfortunately, maintaining all the tun/tap drivers on all the OSes supported
by OpenVPN is something beyond the scope of what the OpenVPN project, by
itself, can achieve.  Right now only the Win32 tun/tap driver is officially
part of the OpenVPN distro and the OpenVPN project must really depend on the
kernel hackers of other OSes to keep their tun/tap drivers up-to-date.

James