Re: [Openvpn-users] winxp suspend/hibernate resume, interface up timing, dhcp problems

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] winxp suspend/hibernate resume, interface up timing, dhcp problems
  • From: "Adam V. Richards" <avrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:14:24 -0600 (MDT)

> > When my laptop resumes from a suspend or hibernate, the *real* (wi0)
> > interface re-get's the old default route which supercedes the tunnel
> > default route -- this obviously confuses things.  While I am able to
> > execute up/down scripts when openvpn starts or stops, I can't seem to be
> > able to tell openvpn to delete the dhcp'ed default route and re-add the
> > tunnel default route on a "resume" event.  Need configuration help please!
>
> I'd like to add a "me-too" on this.  Not only do I see the original default
> route get re-added to the routing table output after standby or hibernate, I
> see it happen if I down and up the openvpn server to which my client WinXP
> laptop is attached.
>
> The client is using a redirect-gateway directive in it's config file so as
> to tunnel everything out the vpn.  If the connection to the server, or the
> server instance itself, is broken and restarted I see the original 0.0.0.0
> route re-appear on the client alongside the one that was added as a result
> of redirect-gateway.  Then, of course, dns lookups begin to fail and traffic
> fails to restart on the tunnel.  Stopping and restarting the client's
> openvpn service re-instantiates the tunnel and fixes the problem.  I'm using
> ifconfig to config the tunnel endpoint on both ends, with the mock-dhcp
> method, on openvpn 1.6 rc4.  Why does that original default gateway
> re-appear?

I'm not sure why, but it might be dhcp client related: either the dhcp
client requeries the server upon an OS resume event, or more likely
perhaps the client re-reads dhcp state from a locally cached file and
re-inserts that information back into kernel tables.  It would be nice if
we could "re-HUP" openvpn *after* that stuff happens to re-read an up
script for example.  Timing sensitive.

I would like to try the latest openvpn release but I'm wary of running
different versions between client and server.  Also, freebsd ports only
has 1.5.0, and I'm trying to cling to the ports system for automation...
maybe I'm a wuss.  :)

-Adam