[Openvpn-users] Questions and requests

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Questions and requests
  • From: "Erik Anderson" <erikba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:56:28 -0700

Haven't been here for a while, glad to see things progressing as we move towards 2.0 as more than just a "wouldn't that be nice" idea :-)

First question is regarding compression: I'm assuming that you're using some kind of generic compressor to compress the contents of each packet.  However, is there some mechansim that is or could be used to compress the headers?  I've heard that PPP does this, for instance.  I've been running TAP for a while (need the broadcasting) and have been hearing that bandwidth is significantly lower for TAP vs. TUN (due to the different packet sizes).  However I'm thinking that a compressed ethernet header would take the same amount of space as a compressed TCP header...

Second question is regarding certificates:  Up to this point to get a certificate ready for OpenVPN I need to (1) save the certificate to disk on my windows machine (from my certificate processor), (2) move it to my linux machine, (3) use 'openssl pkcs12' to convert it to PEM, (4) use vi to split the file into the CA, PVK, and PUB files, (5) move the certificate back to the windows machine.  Is there any discussion about openvpn being able to natively support P12 files at all?