Re: [Openvpn-users] Questions about multiple clients on openvpn2.0

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Questions about multiple clients on openvpn2.0
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:40:33 -0000

Eric Gomez <eric.gomez@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

>  Hello.
>
>  I have a little questions about openvpn 2.0...
>  I try this version today.
>  The connections between the client and server is work perfect.
>  But it is impossible for me to ping the server

Which address are you pinging?  Remember that from the perspective of clients,
the server IP (using the sample configs) will be 10.8.0.1.

>  On my server xiti , there is only one tun interface with ip 10.8.0.1
>  The tunnel is between 10.8.0.1 and 10.8.0.2 on tun0 on xiti

>  My one client wigate: 10.8.0.18 10.8.0.17
>  My another client ibm: 10.8.0.10 10.8.0.9
>
>  I understand that now openvpn bridge internally but how the server made
>  for routing packet between the client and server with only one tun
>  device...
>
>  I probably made a mistake in my configuration file..
>  I use example configuration file on ur site.
>
>  Xiti server
>  port 5000
>  dev tun

Remember that dev tun will route, not bridge.  If you want bridging, use dev tap.

>  # TLS parms
>
>  tls-server
>  ca ca.crt
>  cert xiti.crt
>  key xiti.key
>  dh dh1024.pem
>
>  # Tell OpenVPN to be a multi-client udp server
>  mode server
>

>  ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2
>  ifconfig-pool 10.8.0.10 10.8.0.255
>  client-to-client
>
>  push "route 10.8.0.1 255.255.255.255"

You only need this if you are routing, i.e. using "dev tun".

>  user nobody
>  group nogroup

Try to closely follow config file samples on web site in 2.0 release notes.
There are samples for both routing and bridging configs.  Note that while
OpenVPN in "--mode server --dev tap" mode will internally bridge all client
tap interfaces with the server tap interface, it will NOT automatically bridge
the server tap interface with the server's ethernet interface.  This has to be
done with an OS tool such as brctl on Linux or in the network connections
control panel on Win XP.

Jame