Re: [Openvpn-users] no chance trying openvpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] no chance trying openvpn
  • From: pi <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:41:11 +0100

Okay, Okay,

First I apologize if my previous mail was misunderstood.
This mail was not a shout it was an humoristic one
examples: I can really say "I'm not lucky with VPN solutions!!", I discovered today openvpn (tada.....)

If I decided to write this mail it's because I began to try to install the configuration described in a previous mail using XXswan 1 month ago (10 hours a day)!!!
I asked peoples if XXXswan had the possibility to do this. They said to me 'of course!!'
first I made the solution working in my lab but when I wanted to configure it over the Internet, nothing was working
then I posted on the users list --> I had some answers (most of them were bad)
I even worked actively with a guy 'RPM builder' to test in my lab his modules and helped many of the users posting on this list.
last week, it appeared to be a compiling problem with the RedHat9.0. I then posted on the dev list

The conclusion I had today is:

AFAIK, it's to allow roadwarriors behind a NAT gateway to connect to a IPSec server, and the networks behind it. You use the Xsubnet= to specify what internal IP address the NAT'd box is using, and I'm fairly certain there's not a way to also have a subnet behind it, without doing something exotic like gre tunnels over the ipsec link.

At this point, my head exploded   ;-)

I then looked for another product and found openvpn.
I began to try to install it and at this point I thought the story was starting again.
That's why I did some tests : (./configure, rpmbuild, download rpm from dag's repository, and so on...)

my VPN experience showed me that if I wanted to have informations and the possibility to help the community, I had to ask many questions at the same time to 'maybe' have an answer.
I'm working with linux solutions since 1996 and wan't to share my knowledge not just take your ideas.
The concept of saying "it's Linux you've got to find the solution by yourself" is not a good one to me.
That's why when I ask something it's because you probably already have had the same problems and can make me win some time (I'll do the same for you if I can).

Once more, I apologize
(I also apologize for my "french" english   ;-) )

Phil