Re: [Openvpn-users] New User Questions about OpenVPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] New User Questions about OpenVPN
  • From: "Renato Salles" <rsalles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:33:26 -0300 (BRT)

Cyrus,

Please do not send html mail to this list.

Cyrus Mehta disse:
> Had a couple questions since OpenVPN from my research seems to be a very
> feature-rich system, but it was hard to determine if my needs/requirements
> would be met.
>
> Current Situation:  I have a remote server with its own domain (call it
> mydomain.com) running Linux 2.4 (Fedora C1, if that matters) which I serve
> up the following:
> IMAP email
> Jabber IM
> LDAP
> Samba file shares
> Apache/PHP website
> SSH
>
> Question #1:  My local Win2K workstation at my place of employment is on
> its own Windows-based network behind an ultra-paranoid firewall with only
> ports 22/80/443 open to the outside world.  If I install OpenVPN on my
> Linux Server and Win2K box, can I use the OpenVPN connection for only
> those connections going to mydomain.com?  And not have to use the OpenVPN
> for traffic going to a 3rd party's website or a server that may be on my
> office's internal LAN?
Answer #1:
Yes.

> Question #2:  Given my local Windows Network at my office and my Samba
> share at home, will I be able to browse Network Neighborhood on both the
> work LAN and my server's LAN and see both workgroups (assuming they are
> differently named)?
Answer #2:
Not sure. In the domain controller host you can see and open any share
belonging to different Workgroups. Samba or native Win32. Maybe another
subscriber can clarify this issue for us.

> Question #3:  Do the above situations become problematic if "mydomain.com"
> is a dyndns.org Dynamic DNS internet domain on a dynamic IP served off a
> cable modem?
Answer 3#:
No.

> Thanks in advance for any answers and feel free to ping me with any
> clarifying questions you may have.  --Cyrus

You're wellcome.

HTH,

RSalles

--
"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its
own hell."