[Openvpn-users] ping-restart resolv-retry

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] ping-restart resolv-retry
  • From: "Neal D. Becker" <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:47:30 -0500

Let me see if I understand.

I am trying to get to a remote that may change it's IP.  It can't get to me
unless I start the connection first (cause of FW).

So I need ping-restart.  According to man,

If  the  peer  cannot  be  reached, a restart will be triggered,
causing the hostname used with --remote to  be  re-resolved  (if
--resolv-retry is also specified).

So I also need to set --resolv-retry to some arbitrary value?

This is a little confusing, because resolv-retry says

If hostname resolve fails for --remote, retry resolve for n sec-
onds before failing

I guess resolv-retry really has 2 different meanings?