[Openvpn-users] Win32 Tun/Tap adapter limited to 10Mbps???

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Win32 Tun/Tap adapter limited to 10Mbps???
  • From: craigvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:21:44 -0600 (CST)

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I have searched the archives
and not found any information on it.

My problem is, I have created a Tap based VPN over a 100baseT network and
have bound my CIFS (Windows File/Printer Sharing) to the new VPN. What
troubles me is that that network seems to only transfer files at 10Mbps. I
have looked at the status on the Tap adapter and it says it is running at
only 10Mbps. I have tried to find a place to fix this but can't find any
information anywhere. Any ideas???

This is my test configuration:
Two Windows 2000 Pro machines running 100baseT ethernet adapters.
OpenVPN configured as a TAP device.
The configuration file is currently equal to the sample.ovpn.txt except
for some changed IP addresses.

This is what eventually will go into place:
Four Windows XP Pro machines running 100baseT ethernet adapters.
Everything else is the same.

If more information is needed to help, please ask.

This is what I am trying to accomplish:
I am a consultant for an insurance Agent that works under an umbrella
company. The umbrella company provies IT support for a number of things
and the Agent is then expected to contract a constultant for any further
computer needs. The problem is, the IT department provies only one switch
for the whole building (about 20 computers on a 24port switch) and the
four that are owned by the Agent I am consulting for MUST be connected to
that switch to get any corporate IT support. I want to route all CIFS
traffic over an encrypted link (enter OpenVPN) to insure data
confidentiality/integrity/security from other Agents and their less than
ideal Internet security policies.

Any help would be apprechiated...

-Craig