Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN support IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN support IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel?
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:17:08 -0000

Hiroshi Uemura <reagent@xxxxxxx> said:

> Hi,
>
> I have two Windows2000 PCs connected via IPv6 network.
> But, CIFS doesn't support IPv6.
> Then, I want to make IPv4 tunnel over IPv6 network using OpenVPN.
>
> Does OpenVPN support IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel? (not IPv6 over IPv4)
> If OpenVPN doesn't support IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel, is there
> implement plan?

No, right now the OpenVPN connection to its peer, i.e. the link layer must be
UDP or TCP version 4.  IPv6 is currently supported only at the tunnel layer
(i.e. IPv6 over IPv4) and only on OSes which either support TAP-style virtual
ethernet interfaces or TUN-style point-to-point interfaces with explicit IPv6
support.  IPv6 support at the link layer is planned for a future release,
probably 2.0.

James