Re: [Openvpn-users] Cannot browse private network

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Cannot browse private network
  • From: John Locke <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:25:24 -0800

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 04:55, Miguel Lima wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have the vpn running properly with a linux box bridged as server and a
> WinXP as client (road warrior). Both running tap, exactly the same as the
> "Ethernet Bridging Mini-HOWTO" from openvpn web site, but I have the same
> result trying to browse my private network as with tun device... the only
> network I see is the local one. The other issue is the windows domain
> authentication on the remote side. It seems when I map a drive that only the
> files with permission set to Everyone is shown, even if I change it to a
> valid domain\user and password on the "connect using a different username"
> link.

This sounds like a Windows networking issue. Is the road warrior machine
a member of the domain? Your computer (not just the user) needs an
account on the domain before domain browsing and authentication will
work, and it needs to have logged itself in at some point. Also, if you
leave the network, you usually need domain administrator permissions (or
at least the specific permission to join computers to the domain) to
switch back. A real pain if you have to connect to more than one domain.

If the computer's not on the domain, you may need to physically connect
the road warrior to the LAN (not through a VPN), join the domain, and
then leave your Windows networking settings alone. Of course, this
breaks browsing your home LAN.

Could it be that you need to run OpenVPN as a service, so that the
machine joins the domain before you log in? (I don't know the answer to
this...)

Cheers,
--
John Locke
Open Source solutions for small business problems