Re: [Openvpn-users] 1.6 beta DHCP expires

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] 1.6 beta DHCP expires
  • From: Doug Lytle <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:41:59 -0500

Windows 2000 SP4.

I lose the lease after 5 minutes.

Doug

James Yonan wrote:

Doug Lytle <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

James,

Did you take into account that DHCP addresses have an expiry time. 1.6 has a 5 minute expire time frame. I went to check my system at home and found that the tunnel was down and it had lost it's IP address.

Right, the leases are given out for 5 minutes, but Windows should try to renew the lease indefinitely and 1.6 will respond positively to renewal requests.

The lease is given for a short period of time so that the IP/netmask
association with the adapter will go away quickly if/when OpenVPN shuts down.

In my testing on XP, the DHCP client on Windows tries to renew usually about
50% of the way through the lease.  Which Windows OS are you using?

Are you saying that the renewal is not occuring, so that the address is lost
after 5 minutes?

Right now I am passing the DHCP option DHCP_LEASE_TIME (code 51) by default
(with a value of 5 minutes).  It's possible that I also need to pass
DHCP_RENEW_TIME (code 58) and/or DHCP_REBIND_TIME (code 59) to be more
compatible with all DHCP clients.  I didn't add these because the XP DHCP
client didn't seem to need them.

Any DHCP experts out there who care to comment?

James