Re: [Openvpn-users] Error Code

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Error Code
  • From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:38:53 -0500

James Yonan writes:
> "Connection refused" on a UDP connection means that the remote system system
> sent back an ICMP error (such as "destination unreachable") in response to a
> previously sent UDP packet which was dropped because no process was listening
> for it, or a router in the network path didn't know how to reach the system.

Actually, on looking this up, ECONNREFUSED for UDP means "no receiver
was associated with the destination address."  "Address" in this
context includes the port, and part of my guess was right: this error
means the packet did get to the destination host, but nothing was
listening on the port it was sent to.  The remote OS got the UDP
packet but had no waiting process to give it to.

In ICMP terms, ECONNREFUSED means the ICMP that came back was a "port
unreachable" subtype of type "destination unreachable".

ENETUNREACH and EHOSTUNREACH errors mean different ICMP subtypes came
back from intermediary routers saying the packet didn't make it to the
remote host.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx