Re: [Openvpn-users] Newbie: VPN with virtual IP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Newbie: VPN with virtual IP
  • From: Thomas Heidemann <thomas.heidemann@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:04:00 +0100

On Monday 12 January 2004 16:29, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
Hi Doug,

thanks for your advice.

> It depends on what you'll want to use to connect the two networks.  I
> use Linux at both ends connecting several Windows based network.

Sorry, I didn't mention that. Of course, both networks have a static
internet access through a Linux firewall (on which I want to implement
the vpn).

But I'm worried about the side with the private (non-routable,
192.168.x.x/24) network. There the external interface of the Linux
gateway has a private address too!

Here is the situation:

  private network (eg. 192.168.1.0/24)

      Linux
        |(external interface with _private_ address)

NAT-Box of internet provider

     internet

        | (external interface with static official IP)
      Linux

  private network (eg. 192.168.2.0/24)

> Both ends will have to have access to the internet.  In my case, each
> linux box have real world internet addresses connecting the 2
> networks with a 2nd network card hooking into the local network.  I'm
> using a TUN device between these two networks and I'm having Linux
> routing.  Works very nicely.

I hope, it works for me too.

> If your going to use Windows as the tunnel server, I can't help here,
> but I'm sure there are several others here that can.

No.

> Doug

Thanks
Thomas