Re: [Openvpn-users] 50+ clients, is it going to work?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] 50+ clients, is it going to work?
  • From: "Renato Salles" <rsalles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:25:39 -0200 (BRST)

Raymond disse:

>> I would guess 50 clients would require adding more tun/tap interfaces to
>> the kernel (IIRC the hardcoded limit wasn't that high?)...
>
> What is the default tun/tap max on a Fedora 1.0 kernel build?

My bet is 254, with network and broadcast address being un-usable (is this
correct?). You can check with Maxim Krasnianski at maxk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx He
wrote the tun device driver for this linux i'm using (Fedora-core 1.0)
running a 2.4.22-1 kernel version.

HTH,

RSalles

>>  but as low horsepower as OpenVPN is, you should probably be able to get
>> along okay.
>
> True, but the real killer is the crypto selected; I have found
> software-based triple-DES crippling on a lan or high-speed wan.
> Requires  a hardware-based solution at BOTH ends in these environments.
> This is one reason why I recommend AES for software-based crypto.
>
> Raymond

"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its
own hell."
TAO of Programming - Book 4