[Openvpn-users] openvpn, freebsd & bridging

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] openvpn, freebsd & bridging
  • From: takeda3 <takeda3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:35:20 -0800

Hello openvpn-users,

I have hard time to make bridging under freebsd (version 4.8).

I have LAN which is using subnet: 10.0.0.0/24 (interface rl0)
I configured openvpn to use tap device on both sides, since I want to
have ethernet interface simulated (broadcasts are important to me).

I set bridging with rl0 & tap0, now I have problem.
rl0 of course is on the network 10.0.0.0, I want tap0 to be on same
network, but freebsd doesn't allow the other interface to have same
IP, according to manual:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bridging.html

It's even advised to have IP set only on one interface, but when I
don't use ifconfig in openvpn configuration I'm getting a warning that
options aren't identical on both sides, and there is no connectivity
(ping timeout, when I try to ping hosts).

When I set ifconfig to different subnet, there is connectivity, but
I'm missing the whole point of bridging.

PS. Anyone know tool (preferably for windows) which would ping
broadcast and check how many replies it got? In game Worms World
Party, when I start openvpn, and try to chat I'm seeing myself couple
times (depending on configuration of openvpn from 2 times to 4 times).
I'm not hiding the fact, that whole point of setting VPN is to make
one user to connect to my LAN to be able play that game :)

Thanks for any help
--
Best regards,
 takeda3                          mailto:takeda3@xxxxxxxxxxx