RE: [Openvpn-users] Multiple Windows clients to a Linux server

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Multiple Windows clients to a Linux server
  • From: John Locke <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:46:44 -0800

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 21:20, Johnny Shih wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> For anyone who might be wondering, I have tested the setup and it works
> fine.  An IP was successfully leased to the TAP-Win32 adapter via the VPN
> link.  The laptop now owns two IPs (of different subnets) and can browse
> both networks via 'My Network Place'.  By confirming from Microsoft TechNet,
> its so-called Multihoming is supported in Windows XP, which allows
> simultaneous access of multiple networks in different subnets.
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtech
> nol/winxppro/reskit/prcc_tcp_qevr.asp)

Glad you got it going. I hadn't answered because I didn't have Windows
running anywhere, and have been head down focused on a project... I did
check it late last night to verify network browsing, and could browse to
both my local LAN and a remote LAN, no problem (though both are now
running WINS servers, which definitely speeds up the network discovery).

> Just like John has explained, make sure there is only one gateway in the
> system.  If there has to be multiple, make sure to route all the connections
> to that gateway that provides the internet connectivity.
>
> Here, I notice the TAP-Win32 itself, in Property, has two IP fields.  The
> second one was assigned by the VPN server.  The first one is 0.0.0.0, since
> not configured in the openvpn config file.  But why does it have two sets of
> IP?

I don't know, but I noticed that when I originally set everything up,
when I couldn't get DHCP to work (because of a faulty DHCP setup).

> > Also, what is a 'road warrior'? :P

Just a term for a remote user who doesn't have a static IP address. Like
me in a wi-fi coffee shop, what I think is the best way to use
OpenVPN...

Cheers,
--
John Locke
Open Source solutions for small business problems