Re: [Openvpn-users] Hardware acceleration

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Hardware acceleration
  • From: "Renato Salles" <rsalles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:22:04 -0200 (BRST)

Hi Brenton,

I'm just waiting for a frind to finish some tests with a SSL accel. card
from VIA. The prices are very expensive for average users, but it's a
market with high demand and we expect better prices in few months. I'll be
glad to let you know the model and compatibility X performance results
when these tests are done.

Keep in touch,

HTH.

RSalles

> Hi all,
>
> A bit off topic, but has anyone had any experience with OpenVPN using
> hardware
> accelerator cards supported by OpenSSL?
>
> We're looking at trying to raise the number of simultaneous tunnels that a
> box can support
> by using some of the various PCI cards available and supported by OpenSSL
> (or
> vendor patched OpenSSL).  A lot of the cards available talk about
> connections per second
> for SSL applications but we want to increase the throughput of established
> tunnels.
>
> I have no idea if any of these would actually work, but it would be great
> if
> it did :)
>
> We'd like to use a 3DES+SHA1 for the tunnel cipher; AES cards seem too
> expensive for
> our needs.  Currently, we've been looking at the Cavium NITROX boards
> (which
> use
> Cavium's "modified OpenSSL") - it seems to have a high throughput for
> 3DES+SHA1, but
> I have no idea if that's properly utilized with OpenSSL/OpenVPN.
>
> If anyone has used any of these cards with OpenVPN, I'd love to hear about
> your
> experiences and/or recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
> Brenton Rothchild

"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its
own hell."
TAO of Programming - Book 4