[Openvpn-users] Hardware acceleration

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Hardware acceleration
  • From: "Brenton D. Rothchild" <brothchild@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:52:23 -0600

Hi all,

A bit off topic, but has anyone had any experience with OpenVPN using
hardware
accelerator cards supported by OpenSSL?

We're looking at trying to raise the number of simultaneous tunnels that a
box can support
by using some of the various PCI cards available and supported by OpenSSL
(or
vendor patched OpenSSL).  A lot of the cards available talk about
connections per second
for SSL applications but we want to increase the throughput of established
tunnels.

I have no idea if any of these would actually work, but it would be great if
it did :)

We'd like to use a 3DES+SHA1 for the tunnel cipher; AES cards seem too
expensive for
our needs.  Currently, we've been looking at the Cavium NITROX boards (which
use
Cavium's "modified OpenSSL") - it seems to have a high throughput for
3DES+SHA1, but
I have no idea if that's properly utilized with OpenSSL/OpenVPN.

If anyone has used any of these cards with OpenVPN, I'd love to hear about
your
experiences and/or recommendations.

Thanks,
Brenton Rothchild