RE: [Openvpn-users] Multiple Windows clients to a Linux server

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Multiple Windows clients to a Linux server
  • From: "Johnny Shih" <johnnyshih@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:20:52 +1000

Hi guys,

For anyone who might be wondering, I have tested the setup and it works
fine.  An IP was successfully leased to the TAP-Win32 adapter via the VPN
link.  The laptop now owns two IPs (of different subnets) and can browse
both networks via 'My Network Place'.  By confirming from Microsoft TechNet,
its so-called Multihoming is supported in Windows XP, which allows
simultaneous access of multiple networks in different subnets.
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtech
nol/winxppro/reskit/prcc_tcp_qevr.asp)

Just like John has explained, make sure there is only one gateway in the
system.  If there has to be multiple, make sure to route all the connections
to that gateway that provides the internet connectivity.

Here, I notice the TAP-Win32 itself, in Property, has two IP fields.  The
second one was assigned by the VPN server.  The first one is 0.0.0.0, since
not configured in the openvpn config file.  But why does it have two sets of
IP?

Thanks,
Johnny