[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN on VPS(virtual private server)

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN on VPS(virtual private server)
  • From: gary ng <garyng2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:32:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

As there are more and more virtual private
server(usually some form of user mode linux) service
available which is cheap and reliable, I am
considering setting up a VPN running OpenVPN on it,
say open 3-5 ports for a small network.

The issue I want to know is, is there a remote
possibily the hosting opertor can 'sniff' the packets
after it has been decrypted at the other end ? Would
it be better in this case to use IPSec for this kind
of usage ?

I understand that the hosting operator can 'inject' a
compromised executable but that I may be able to some
sort of preventing by periodically checking the md5
sums of key executables.

thanks for any insight on this kind of usage.

regards

gary