RE: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN 1.5 Release Candidate 1

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN 1.5 Release Candidate 1
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:54:20 -0000

Andrew Clarke <spam@xxxxxxxxx> said:

> Well better late than never, hopefully, to add my experience to this
> issue but I get a similar issue with beta 14 on Windows XP Pro.  When
> I'm using a wireless network and for any reason can't log in
> automatically, I have to manually restart the VPN service before it will
> work.  This will happen if I have to log onto the network (i.e. T-Mobile
> hotspots or my wife's university), or any reason like that.  I never
> need to use the VPN at home which is about the only place I DON'T need
> to log in first so I haven't tested it to see whether it will
> automatically work in situations like that.
>
> So here's what I do:
>
> 1. Start the computer & log in
> 2. Log into or enable my wireless network
> 3. Restart the OpenVPN service

Interesting...  I run XP Pro as well.  When I travel, I am able to start up
the service on my laptop the moment I disconnect locally from the LAN.  I can
then log onto wireless, dial-up modems, go through multiple sleep/resume
cycles, and go through periods of time where the machine has no internet
connection, and the service is always able to stay in sync with this kind of
dynamic usage.  As soon as I connect to the internet (by wireless or modem or
ethernet), the VPN goes online within seconds.

Here are the config files I use:

#############################
# Connect LAN with road warrier -- TUN version
# Linux Server side
# Runs on OpenVPN 1.5.0 or higher

# IP settings
port 1999
dev road0
dev-type tun
ifconfig 10.20.0.2 10.20.0.1
tun-mtu 1500
mssfix 1450

# crypto config
cipher         bf-cbc
replay-persist roadwar.rp

# TLS config
tls-server
dh             key/dh2048.pem
ca             key/ca.crt
cert           key/server.crt
key            key/server.key
tls-auth       key/roadwar-tlspass 0
key-method     2

# restart control
persist-key
persist-tun
ping-timer-rem
ping-restart 60
ping 10

# compression
comp-lzo

# UID
user nobody
group nobody

# verbosity
verb 3

########################
# Connect LAN with road warrier -- TUN version
# XP Client side
# Runs on OpenVPN 1.5.0 or higher

remote [server's public IP address]

# IP settings