Re: [Openvpn-users] Can I Use Open VPN for This ?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Can I Use Open VPN for This ?
  • From: "Renato Salles" <rsalles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:35:25 -0200 (BRST)

Ok, the main problem is that there isn't adsl links available in the
mentioned region. This is the case where a dial-on-demand & openvpn
solution can work together to deploy the connection required.

The tunnel would use the ppp(x) link to connect to the remote vpn point.
My bet is that at the "main" vpn server, you have to have a 'always up'
link to make this solution works. If there is no way to have a link always
connected - in the main database server endpoint - you can try a "crontab"
entry (at least you have to  have all the vpn links in sync with ntp)
linking the endpoints required, and shutting down the link after some time
of inactivity.

This is only one sugestion.

HTH,

RSalles

> Thanks for reply,
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> About a "daemon" that listen for incoming request (icmp type 8) at a
>> certain address, and starts a script which fires up diald and stablishes
>> the connection between two database endpoints - client and server.
>>
>> And openvpn working as this daemon.
>>
>> Well, if you use OpenVPN you just need this solution, and bye bye diald.
>> Why use both to do the same job? If you company purchase 4 adsl links -
>> cheap solution and it can be a adsl/pppoe with dynamic assigned ip
>> address
>> -  the connection remains always up you can connect the database
>> endpoints
>> trouhgh the vpn link.
>>

> Well First thing is that Place where these locations are situated
> don't have any leased/cable modem facilities. The only option
> available is leased line which is quite costly. So using existing
> phone lines is the only option left with us due to cost of
> permanent connectivity is very high.
>
> So can u help me by suggesting a solution may be with
> VPN or any other means like diald/pppd or any thing else
> which will be suitable for connecting two lans ?
>
> in short depending on URL/IP requested by Node
> the Server should fire respective Connection.
>
> Thanks once again
>
> Best Regards
>
> R. S. Patil

"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its
own hell."
TAO of Programming - Book 4