Re: [Openvpn-users] (MANY) multiple connections

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] (MANY) multiple connections
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:38:04 -0000

Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie_cumberland@xxxxxxxxx> said:

> Hello All,
>
> I was browsing through the archives but was not able to really locate some
> information on the possibility of having multiple connections per node along
> with any performance issues that might have been noticed.
>
> In general, what is required to set up multiple tunnels to a windows machine
> for example and what might be the limitations on the maximum number of tunnels
> that can be established  from a machine with one network card?

Every tunnel requires an OpenVPN process, a separate config file, a separate
TCP/UDP port, and a separate TUN/TAP virtual adapter on each end of the
connection.  OpenVPN has various methods, based on the OS, for allowing a set
of config files to be automatically started on system startup, or started
on-demand using inetd or xinetd.

On most OSes, the maximum number of TUN/TAP virtual adapters will be the
constraining factor on the number of tunnels which are possible.

Post-1.5, there are plans for allowing one OpenVPN process, possibly using
only a single port and TUN/TAP adapter, to control multiple tunnels.

James