Re: [Openvpn-users] Samba (Re: DHCP over OpenVPN?)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Samba (Re: DHCP over OpenVPN?)
  • From: "Renato Salles" <rsalles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:17:17 -0200 (BRST)

I have samba 2.2.7a running at both VPN endpoints. My browse function
works perfectly, domain logons, and all the rest. As this thread isn't
already over - in the near past i remember some messages about this topic
- possibly i can send my contribution to the list.

What runs here:
ADSL at both endpoints, samba as previously marked, iptables 1.2.7a and RH
linux 9.0

What - generally - happens and what can we do to bypass this situation is:

samba server can not browse sync with the domain master browser.
solution: inform the local samba server the ip number of the master
browser to sync with.
solution2: append the subnet and mask to the directive "hosts allow".
solution3: permit the traffic trough ports 137:139 tcp/udp to the tun+
interface ( in some situations the FORWARD rule seems to bring positive
results).

There is more thinks to try also, and it depends of the WAN/LAN
configuration (firewall, win32 LAN clients, etc.)

The best place to start is tcpdump and the logs at the samba server in the
vpn endpoints involved.

Where to start looking: samba has a great amount of documentation
available at samba.org.

And we are here, everyday. There is some users that have had the same
issues in the past and can "give you a hand" in this issue.

HTH,

RSalles

--
"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its
own hell."