RE: [Openvpn-users] openvpn 1.5b4 on win32

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] openvpn 1.5b4 on win32
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:32:03 -0000

> Only downside is I can't connect to the office while travelling, unless I
> make a second VPN connection from my laptop to home.  Unless anyone has a
> clever way of setting my office PC up in such a way that it can connect to a
> dynamic IP?

Yes, it's actually possible to do this.  You need a dynamic DNS setup (I use
http://www.dyndns.org/ ).

remote [my-dynamic-addr]
ping               15
ping-restart      300 # 5 minutes
resolv-retry  2592000 # 1 month
persist-tun
persist-key
[other options...]

Basically this config tells OpenVPN to re-resolve [my-dynamic-addr] after 5
minutes of inactivity.  If [my-dynamic-addr] has a low TTL (time-to-live),
then this type of config will cause the server to "follow" you -- as long as
you keep your current IP address updated with your dynamic DNS provider using
one of the many dynamic DNS client tools (I use ddclient).  The resolv-retry
line will allow you to take your dynamic DNS name offline when you aren't
connected -- this will also take OpenVPN offline as well until the dynamic DNS
name becomes resolvable again.

James