Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN on Bochs?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN on Bochs?
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:22:14 -0000

I have heard from people who claimed to have gotten OpenVPN running on Windows
by using something like Fish's TunTap32 + Fishpack + winpcap.  I got in touch
with Fish to see what his opinion was on this solution, and he warned me that
trying to throw a VPN TUN/TAP driver together by using winpcap and fudging
ARPs is a Bad Idea and a huge kludge.  It's something quick and dirty that was
implemented for the Hercules emulator just to get something running quickly.
While winpcap is a nice looking project that has brought tcpdump to windows,
it isn't any replacement for a real windows miniport driver.  While I don't
have experience with the Bochs emulator, I expect that running OpenVPN in an
emulated context will be measurably inefficient.

I've been watching the Cipe project lately with interest.  While I believe
that the VPN component of Cipe is somewhat behind OpenVPN in terms of
flexibility and features, Cipe's win32 kernel driver (under the direction of
Damion Wilson) has been stabilizing very nicely and is really just a stone's
throw away from being a TAP driver.

I really believe at this point, that this is the path of least resistance
between OpenVPN and Windows.

James