[Openvpn-users] Tunnel MTU

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Tunnel MTU
  • From: Carsten Burstedde <bursted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:07:41 +0100

Hi,

I am planning to bridge two or more LANs behind dial-up linux routers together, in a star-like setup.

        my router          server            another router
 LAN -- eth0 tap0 ------- tap0 tap1 ---------- tap0 eth0 -- LAN
          \br0/             \br0/                \br0/
                          tap2 etc.
                  etc. -----/

The tunnel UDP connections go over PPPoE(th1) links (DSL), the server is located somewhere on the internet (high bandwidth).

Do I have to set the mtu to 1300 for each and every participating interface, i.e. eth0, br0 and tap0 on the routers and tapx and br0 on the server? And also on all machines sitting in the various LANs? That would be a lot of administrative effort.

Currently, I set up the bridges with eth0 and mtu at boot time and execute
  ifconfig $1 mtu $2 up
  brctl addif br0 $1
in the up-scripts.

What is the most elegant solution here?