Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN compatible with IKE hardware devices?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN compatible with IKE hardware devices?
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 18:37:33 -0000

Jeff Kowalczyk <jtk@xxxxxxxxx> said:

> Pardon the newbie question, it must come up often because of OpenVPN's
> project name. Is OpenVPN designed to be used only at both connection
> ends by two unix boxes, or can it connect as a client to VPN hardware?

No, OpenVPN can only connect to another machine running OpenVPN.  OpenVPN is
designed to be a lightweight, cross-platform, daemon-based VPN, and as such
uses SSL/TLS rather than IKE for authentication and key exchange.

> I have an VPN connection between offices using AdTran NetVanta units,
> which use IKE policies. (I'm not sure if this is referred to as IPSec)
> Once I got it set up correctly, hardware handles the VPN connection
> transparently to the operating system.
>
> I've switched from Windows to Linux recently, and I'd like to find a VPN
> client that can connect to the VPN from other locations, without using
> the hardware. For Windows, the hardware vendors usually sell client
> programs to connect using software encryption. They don't usually mention
> whether the process is standardized enough that other VPN software will
> also work.
>
> If OpenVPN is not designed to do that, can anyone suggest the best
> open-source software that is? Thank you.

You might check out freeswan.org --

This page in particular outlines freeswan's compatibility with other IPSec
implementations:

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-2.00/doc/interop.html

James