Re: [Openvpn-users] What IP does one subnet access one another?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] What IP does one subnet access one another?
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 03:19:06 -0000

Rudy Koento <rudy_koento@xxxxxxxxx> said:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know what IP address is seen by a PC in
> one of the subnet, when it's being accessed by another
> PC in another subnet.
>
> In my case, the IP seen is the IP of the openvpn box
> in the local subnet.  Meaning, if I have 2 subnets
> 10.0.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24, when 192.168.1.20 is
> connecting to 10.0.0.20, a nestat at 10.0.0.20 will
> see a connection established from 10.0.0.1 (the
> openvpn box).
>
> Is this the correct way?

I find it more useful to NAT clients to the internet, but use direct IP
addressing for communication between clients behind subnets.

To use direct IP addressing, you must use route statements to route remote
subnets to the appropriate remote OpenVPN endpoint (i.e. the second address in
the --ifconfig option).  Also, make sure you are only doing NAT on client
connections going out to the internet.

> Does this mean the
> connection is NAT'ed by openvpn box?

Yes.

> Currently,
> everything works perfectly, except windows file &
> printer sharing is not working :(  So I thought this
> might cause problem?

Getting windows file & printer sharing to work over routed connections can be
tricky.  While possible, some people use ethernet bridging to get this to
work, since since it makes the WAN look like a LAN to windows.