Re: [Openvpn-users] Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 05:24:35 -0000

"Bowsher, Jason P" <j.bowsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> I am trying to setup OpenVPN to act as a VPN server which will allow clients
> to connect to the office network.  It is not clear to me if this is possible
> or if openVPN can only create tunnels between two gateways as a means of
> linking two networks rather than allowing mobile users to connect to the
> office.

OpenVPN can allow mobile users to connect to an office provided that the
mobile machine is running an OS which OpenVPN supports (Linux, *BSD, etc.).

> Anyway I have followed the instructions (except setting up a firewall as we
> already have this configured) and when trying to start openvpn (tls-server).
> I get the following error message:
>
> Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Invalid argument (errno=22)

This is a bug in 1.3.2, but has been fixed in 1.4.0.  You will still see the
message in 1.4.0 but it is now a non-fatal warning.  The message is caused by
an older version of the TUN/TAP driver that doesn't recognize the TUNSETIFF
ioctl, though I believe that the warning can be safely ignored without any
loss of functionality.

James