[Openvpn-users] choking tunnel

Hi!

I am new to to openvpn. I found it very easy to install. My setup is: machine a) is connected directly to the internet, using Linux SuSE 7.1 (kernel 2.4.16), machine b) is behind a firewall box (a d-link cable router), using Linux SuSE 8.0 (2.4.18). I use openvpn 1.2.1 on both with lzo 1.0.7. I use a preshared secret, and establish the tunnel without any further options. It works fine when I ping through it (same latency as direct ping). However, when I send a larger file through it (e.g. via a nfs mounted share or ftp) data is going through in blocks of about 10k, after which there is always a break of about 20 secs. The 10k block is transferred at about the speed of my connection, but with the 20 sec intermissions it takes forever to transfer big files, obviously. This behavior also occurs when I have a regular 1 sec ping going through the tunnel simultaneously.

Is this a known problem? Can I do something with options?

regards,

Marcus