[Openvpn-devel] request for input re: OpenVPN API

  • Subject: [Openvpn-devel] request for input re: OpenVPN API
  • From: Mike Martin <Mike.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:36:48 -0400

Hello,

My name is Mike Martin, and I am currently working on my M. Sc. I am
writing a research paper investigating the feasibility of developing an
API for a VPN, as discussed in the following quote:

“It would be nice if the Grid application could access the VPN console,
re-affirm credentials, and register for notifications through an API
like the GSS or the Advance Reservation API listed above.”
-Volker Sander (ed.) (2004) /Networking Issues for Grid Infrastructure/.
Global Grid Forum Document Series GFD-37. Available from:
http://www.ggf.org/documents/GFD.37.pdf

I started this knowing very little about VPNs, or about API design, but
my research has led me to believe that OpenVPN would be the best tool
for the job (I am a firm believer in Open Source Software). I am
wondering if any OpenVPN developers would be willing to fill out a short
(from my perspective) questionnaire regarding the requirements for such
an API for OpenVPN, either for Grid applications specifically, or for
any client application in general, as I have come to the conclusion that
an API should not be specific to the client application, but should be
as general as possible. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in participating, please email me off line so we
don't clutter your mailing list - unless there is such great interest
you would like to see it in the discussion.

I am a professor of Computer Studies at Seneca College in Toronto:
mike.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, you guys have created a great piece of software,

Mike

P.S. We are having our annual Open Source Software Conference in
October. Here is the url:
http://cs.senecac.on.ca/fsoss/2006/

It would be good to see OpenVPN people there. Next year I would like to
do a presentation about OpenVPN, because I am getting so tired of
everyone thinking IPSec is the only high quality VPN technology. They
all suffer from the same misconceptions about SSL VPNs that are
discussed by Charlie Hosner in his SANS paper. I feel like a prophet
lost in the wilderness.