[Openvpn-devel] Re: Interface with GUI agent

  • Subject: [Openvpn-devel] Re: Interface with GUI agent
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:58:46 +0200 (CEST)

Some more things to consider...

1. On Windows, if the the service wrapper has started some openvpn processes before our gui agent is started, how should find out about those processes?

I can think of the following ways:

1a. Ask the service wrapper via the socket interface that I'm working on right now. This will require the service wrapper not only start the processes, but keep a table over running processes.

1b. Scan a defined directory for config files, and require the config files to have a management option. Then we can try connecting to the specified tcp port to find if there is a running ovpn process.

1c. Query the system for processes with the name "openvpn", and which sockets this process has opened. Then we could try connecting to those ports to find the management socket.

I dislike 1b because it would complicate for the user, that he has to have the management option in his config-file. If using 1a that is handled automaticly by the gui or service wrapper.

The drawback with 1a is, how do we handle the same thing on unix? There could be situations where we would like start the vpn before a gui agent here to. Are we back to what Jan K said, we need a "service wrapper" for unix to, that can run at al ltime as a deamon and keep track of our openvpn processes? It would require some extra work writing this deamon to, but it would give us a consistent way of starting openvpn processes from a gui agent regardless of the platform.

2. How should the service wrapper know which configs to launch at start-up? To maintain backwords-compatibility it should launch all config files in the config folder. However the gui agent should be able to handle both processes started at boot-time and other that is started manually from the gui later.

I've thought of two ways of doing this.

2a. Use a config file which list which configs that should be launched at boot-time. If that config file does not exist, it will launch all it finds, as it is today. A gui agent can then create this file to specify which configs should be launched at boot-time.

2b. Use another folder for configs that should not be started at boot-time.

Please let me know how you think we should handle these issues before I put anymore work into the service wrapper in a wrong direction...

-- _____________________________________________________________ Mathias Sundman (^) ASCII Ribbon Campaign NILINGS AB X NO HTML/RTF in e-mail Tel: +46-(0)8-666 32 28 / \ NO Word docs in e-mail